Monday, July 1, 2013

Thing 13: Online Applications and Tools

My district had offered a professional development on using Google Drive so I've been using it for about a year to create documents and spreadsheets. I've heard the district will be pushing employees to use Google Drive because they are running out of drive space.  I have not yet played with the Presentation or the Form applications.  My husband has created a file using Draw which he has shared with me and it seemed easy to use.  The TIS at my professional development described Google Drive as a generic version of Microsoft Office.  It will do the essentials, but it might be missing the fluffy stuff that makes it pretty.   

My experience with Google Docs has been great! I actually use it more now than I use Microsoft Word.  I like the easy accessibility to my files.  If I do need something it Word or if I have a old file I want to use, it is quick and easy to convert into Word Documents and vice versa.  Sometimes there are minor spacing issues, but nothing unmanageable.  If I start a Document on my school computer I no longer have to save and email it to myself.  All I have to do is log back into Google.  I can also share files easily with others.  No more emailing and then saving.  My husband and I share things all the time.  Once he shares, something with me it appears right in my drive.  I can also access Google Drive from my phone.  It's awesome!!

The sharing ability can so useful when you want to share things with coworkers.  How many times have you gotten the email with "Updated" document or document with "Corrections"?  I don't know about you, but with all these emails I get confused which version I should use.  When you share something on Goole Docs and need to make changes, it occurs on the original document and you don't have to worry about resharing.  I hope the district will do more pushing and encouraging employees to use Google Drive.  People are scared of trying new things, but once they realize how easy it is, I'm sure more people will be willing to try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment